Welcome to part two of Hardcore Math User’s liquid funk history lesson!
Picking up where Faze One left off, Faze Two ups the tempo and brings a stronger funk aesthetic to the table while maintaining that shimmering watery vibe perfected by late ’90s melodic drum & bass.
New Forms looms large, and needs no introduction here. We’ve got more Jonny L on deck, a pair of joints by E-Z Rollers, and it wouldn’t be a ’90s melodic D&B party without a few gems from the mighty Good Looking empire.
Kicking off the mix is probably my favorite vocal drum & bass tune of the decade, sporting a vocoder and more live instruments than you can shake a microphone at, Adam F’s futuristic masterpiece Music In My Mind.
Click here to stream or download.
- Adam F – Music In My Mind
- Control – Seven Days
- Jonny L – This Time (Cool Dub Mix)
- Roni Size / Reprazent – Down
- Jonny L – I Let U
- Big Bud – Blue 52
- Jonny L – Underwater Communication
- Artemis – Elysian Fields
- E-Z Rollers – Fever
- Nuyorican Soul – It’s Alright, I Feel It! (Roni Size Remix)
- Roni Size / Reprazent – Trust Me
- Roni Size / Reprazent – Share The Fall
- E-Z Rollers – Bad Up
- Caspian – Oak St Bluesman
Also check out Jeweler’s Dive, the 1997 demo that got me signed to my first serious label. I was still finding my legs as a producer, but the vibe is 100% early liquid.
Have a great summer!