It’s early summer, the perfect time of year for melodic drum & bass!
As always, there’s a bit of a history lesson. Liquid funk came of age around 2004, but the birth cries could be heard as far back as the early ’90s with the dawn of drum & bass itself.
Liquid DNB went by different monikers throughout the decade: jungle jazz, atmospheric, drum & space; but the biggest stars of liquid funk owe everything to these pioneers of mid / late ’90s melodic drum & bass, and there’s no better place to start than Jonny L.’s absolutely devastating 2 Of Us.
Welcome to part one of Hardcore Math User’s Birth Of Liquid mixtape series!
- Jonny L. – 2 Of Us
- DJ Pulse – Planet Funk
- Alex Reece – Candles (dj Pulse Mix)
- Jonny L. – Sam
- Odyssey – Artificial Life
- Jazz Cartel – Expand
- Kudos – East Coast Fusion
- The Ballistic Brothers – Come On (Simon Templar Mix)
- Wax Doctor – Atmospheric Funk
- Alex Reece – U R
- Wax Doctor – Offshore Drift
- Jonny L. – Tychonic Cycle
- Ken Ishii – Stretch (Shogun Remix)
- Art Of Noise – Art Of Love (ILS Remix)
Click here for Faze Two.
3 thoughts on “Mixtape Alert: Birth of Liquid (Faze One)”